Saturday, July 21, 2007

Kannada barilva?

Been trying to find an opportunity to learn/speak the language since i set foot into this city but somehow the plan has never made its way towards execution.

Destiny seemed to create the historic moment when I found myself face-to-face with the maid - the authentic mrs chennamma... (the mention of whose name brings the song chinnamma chilakamma to my lips...). In a daring attempt to make conversation, I offered her coffee and wanted to ensure that all was well - "busi saaka?" i managed, entirely pleased with my impeccable choice of words...the glassy-eyed lady (she has cat eyes even otherwise - incase you mistake it for an emotional outburst) just nodded her head in approval. I was rather disappointed that it turned out to be an anti-climax when she asked me in chaste tamil "neenga ooruku poliya?".....................

3 comments:

Zeppelin said...

hahaha.. how about this - last week i went to the bus depot to get my bus pass for my daily commute to work. I used my credit card, so had to sign and return the receipt and finally, before he handed the tickets to me, the counter guy asked "are you from india?" ..and I answered in the affirmative... to this, i hear a "dhanyavaadh".. :)

P B said...

once in madurai town bus (I was in 10th std then), travelling with my cousin. I was criticizing USA govt for participating in kuwait war. When we were about to alight 2 white men, apparently americans came and told in rough voice "America pathi thappa pesadha" they were very angry. Ippo ninaichalum bayama iruku.

Viji said...

LOL!
kannada solpa solpa gothu.. left thogolli, right thogolli, straight hogi, stop maadi! chenna giddheera? oota aayththa? :P